Health unit warns of second COVID-19 wave

Article content continued

It’s hard to quantify how many COVID-19 infections have been prevented by diligent residents following public health measures for months, Ahmed said, but the number is in the hundreds or thousands. The five new cases reported in Windsor-Essex on Tuesday could have easily led to hundreds more if they’d come in contact with even a few people at a social gathering, he said. The spread is exponential.

“The second wave will come,” Ahmed said. “The question is, how are we taking control of our fate?

“If we act now, we can have a controlled second wave where we can protect many, many lives. We can protect our economic well-being. We can protect our community. No one wants to see us rolling back to where we were in Stage 1.”

Ontario reported more than 200 cases for the fifth day in a row with 251 additional cases on Tuesday. That was almost a 20 per cent drop from the 313 new cases reported on Monday, the highest single-day count since early June. Ahmed attributed the rise in cases to Labour Day festivities where the virus spread between large groups of people.

“Anyone who’s outside our household, what do we do to protect ourselves from them? Potentially any of them could be a case,” Ahmed said. “I know people don’t want to hear that, people don’t want to follow recommendations because they’ve been doing it for (so) long, but you have to remember what is at stake.”

Three of the five new local cases reported Tuesday are residents of Dolce Vita, a retirement home in Windsor. One new case is a close contact of someone who previously tested positive, and another is someone who arrived in Canada from outside of North America.