Here’s what we know so far about Victoria’s likely move to stage four coronavirus restrictions

Three weeks of stay-at-home restrictions in Victoria have not been enough to halt the spread of COVID-19 so new restrictions are expected to be imposed to try and control the outbreak.

There are now almost 11,000 cases of COVID-19 in the state and 5,919 active cases halfway through the stage three restrictions which were due to end on August 19.

The ABC understands new restrictions will be announced as early as this afternoon when Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews holds his daily media conference.

Call centres, retail stores and abattoirs are expected to face new restrictions.

Restaurants will be allowed to offer takeaway under strict conditions with contactless pick-up only.

Public transportation will continue to run but taxis and Uber services may be restricted.

It is also understood the tougher restrictions will extend beyond metropolitan Melbourne.

The Government had already introduced new restrictions last week making it mandatory for every Victorian to wear a mask when they leave their home from Monday.

Mr Andrews had said the mask rule was “essentially stage four for Melbourne” and a measure that could be done in regional Victoria without significant economic cost.

People face a $200 fine for not complying with the rules on masks, but there are a number of exceptions to the rules.

Red shading shows a number of council areas covering the Geelong and Colac region on a map.
The six local council areas take in a number of towns including Colac and Geelong.(ABC News)

Further restrictions were also imposed on six local government areas surrounding Geelong, the state’s second-largest city, last week.

Residents in Greater Geelong, Surf Coast, Moorabool, Golden Plains, Colac-Otway and the Borough of Queenscliffe are no longer allowed to host visitors, weddings or funerals at their homes.

But they will be able to visit restaurants and cafes, attend community sport and visit gyms.

The restrictions were designed to tackle family-to-family transmission, Mr Andrews said last week.

Stage three restrictions imposed on July 8 were to remain in place until August 19.

Victoria’s state of emergency has been extended until August 16.

A white hand-drawn sign in colourful print which says keep going, you're doing great.
Daniel Andrews conceded the new measures were tough but necessary for all Victorians.(ABC News: Margaret Paul)

Under those restrictions there were only four reasons to leave home: for study or work if it couldn’t be done from home; exercise; shopping for essential supplies and for medical care or providing care.

Under stage three restrictions, police had the power to issue on-the-spot fines of $1,652 for non-compliance and set up road blocks in a ring around metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire, north of the city.